Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Garland redeux

Is there a blogger who doesn't have a "Give Thanks" garland somewhere in their home? I made mine last year thinking I wanted something quick and easy. It was. Ovals cut from resume paper (thank goodness I haven't needed to use that lately) and taped to raffia strands with a few clip art leaves thrown in for good measure. I'm not sure what it is about raffia that woos me so but I always have it on hand for wrapping and crafting.

This year I wanted to fanficy the garland a bit. Scrapbook paper to the rescue. I don't scrap so I actually purchased these papers with this project in mind. I cut the triangles (math is not my favorite part of crafting, no sireebob) and clued the ovals on. I found my three hole punch made perfectly spaced holes for the ribbon to thread through. I used the leftover paper scraps to update my cheapo tealight candles. Now they blend with the walls and garland instead of focusing my attention with their glaring whiteness. Can I light them? No. But that's besides the point.

If I had more patience I'd likely antique the ovals a bit. As is, I am patience challenged and just threw the thing together. Maybe this will be an annual event. Pamplona has the running of the bulls, NYC their dropping of the ball, and Dublin, GA their Redneck Games. I'll have the foofiying of the garland.

Anyway, I was very proud of my efforts until I tried to reinstall the banner. Now it was twice as long and wouldn't fit over the fireplace. I live in a small home. I mean really small. I don't have many open and unfettered expanses of wall. There seemed to be only one place where it would fit so now it's taped (yes, that's the shiny stuff near the ribbon) to the "crown molding" (really more of a tiara than a full on crown) in the LR.

My 6yo is most vexed that it says "Give Thanks". She thinks it should be "Thanksgiving". I like the message of Give Thanks because it is more action oriented. It seems to be more a directive to identify, internalize, and express thanks for those aspects of our lives that are most precious and dear. Still, I couldn't begrudge her the opportunity to make her own banner. I am thankful to have a bright, creative child who is interested in using the gifts and time she has been given to create joy for those around her.

3 comments:

Anjeanette said...

You crack me up! I love your new crown molding tiara;) See you were a year ahead of the rest of us with our garlands. I love the picture from last year with all your stars on the wall. That too should belong in a magazine. (Just like your new avatar picture.)

Betsy said...

Garland looks great. Love it.

Rachel Berry said...

Love the Garland! I STILL have my daughters 1st birthday banner hanging in my dining room. Do you think it's time to take it down?:) So your a step ahead of me, I don't even own a Fall garland of any kind. Maybe next year i'll get busy and make one. ;)