Monday, September 15, 2008

Bubbling over

I'm not a formal gal. Not too traditional either. I like cheap and slightly quirky. I can't find the original blog that hooked me on this idea but here is a glimpse at the original inspiration for what became my bubbling wall.

I started buying old enamelware lids off eBay, in local antique and junk shops and even found a few in my parent's junk pile.

I simply hot glued small loops of florist wire to the back of each lid. I tried to arrange the lids in a bubbly kind of way but I'm not sure I got the randomness I was looking for. I think the entire project cost around $25 dollars. If I could have been more patient, I'm sure it would have been cheaper. I also acquired a few enamelware pots that I use to house my potted plants. It's retro country, yes, but not in a roostery kind of way.

The only downside (besides my questionable taste) is that as the temperature changes some of the hot glue disengages from the back of the lids. My husband and I have been awakened on more than a couple of nights to the sound of falling lids. Good thing they're already banged up and chipped.

I want to repaint the kitchen. This wall color was chosen while I was 7 months pregnant. Let me just say that preg hormones are not a decorating asset. I want to go more clear, fresh green and less borderline seafoam almost 80's dusty teal. I'll also choose a different finish. I thought the wipability of satin would be perfect for a kitchen. Maybe it is, as I've got no stains on the wall despite having served spaghetti to toddlers in this very room, but it shows every single imperfection in the walls. Maybe I wasn't the neatest wall paper remover ever. S'ok. I'll choose a wipable flat next time.

6 comments:

Michele said...

I think it is a cute idea and very unique!

Amber said...

I think this is very creative! I personally love enamelware - I'm always on the look-out for it!

Shannon said...

This is so unique. It looks great!

Marie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! How fun you went to SM this weekend too! We had a great time...hope you did as well! I love the enamelware on the wall! My bff did the same thing in her kitchen! I love it.

Shell in your Pocket said...

That is so fun and cute!! I love it!!! What a great idea!
-Sandy Toes

Shannon said...

In answer to your question, my wall color is called Peanut Shell from Pratt and Lambert. I love it and have it in my living room and kitchen also. :)