Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sticky


I was inspired by this blog post and this post which were participating in this party.

I've got urns. I've got sticks. I can drive to Dollar Tree. So I made this. Well, my first grader and I did. The urns were distressed tan when we began (no before pics, sorry). I spray painted them flat black but I wasn't too thorough as a few lighter spots gave the urns a more aged look that I liked a lot.

We gathered twigs from the river birch in the back yard. It seems to shed twigs continuously but I love this tree and it's slightly shiny brown and speckled twigs are beautiful even if I have to pick them up after every single GTE 5mph wind gust. A bit of floral foam, careful twig placement, and a topping of spanish moss and we were ready to crow.

Without the crow the whole thing has a Martha vibe. With the crow, it's a creepier look. I might remove the bird until nearer to Halloween. Anyway, it's something I've been wanting to try and I think it turned out better than I expected. It will get plenty of looks I'm sure. Now I need to get a wreath on the door and move the oh-so-summery caladiums to the back porch.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I like your crow. I need to get to the Dollar Store!

Michele